Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Week 4, blog 2

Chapter 8
Pages 233-234 talk about the “multiple stakeholder model” that asserts that organizations ought to be concerned with the interests of many different individuals and groups and not just shareholders or stockholders of their organizations. Figure 8.1 shows a very clear visual of this model and shows how the managing process/coordination is the key middle factor in corporations.

I must admit that for the first five years of my career, I was not using thinking much about the indirect stakeholders. I always focused on the direct and immediate impacts of my job or projects that I worked on. However after starting my graduate program in Public Administration, I have started paying more attention to the implications of my job and projects on multiple stakeholders. It is very hard to have an eagle-eye view from high level to project the intended and unintended consequences of the tasks that you are working on. I am struggling because I often have to meet my deadlines and requirements of upper management within the limitations of the software products I support. Therefore at times, I may not fully service a group of indirect stakeholders per their needs. I hope to learn more techniques and skills to effectively use the multiple stakeholder model as I progress in my career and graduate program.

2 comments:

  1. Good post! It made me think about the interests my company plays in a "big picture" role for society. Based on our company business we provide a service to the community in a form of recreation. There is more to it than simply making a profit. We have many customer who include our facility as part of their daily or weekly routine. And then our payroll has an effect on the lives of the employees' quality of life and lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a great post. I too feel that it is important to knowy our surroundings in any situation. While you need to be on top of your game in your organization, networking plays a huge role in how people either grow as individuals in the corporate world and further more how organizations can grow in the corporate world. This concept was just another great one pulled from the terxt that go tme thinking. In y opinion, being a multiple stakeholder allows you to get to know all aspects of your organization and the ones that you compete with. Thanks for selecting this concept it gave me a better insight on its importance.

    ReplyDelete